The Big Question - Why Blog?

I'm sure may of you are wondering why I started this blog, so here's the long answer:

First, I was recently furloughed from my job due to COVID-19.  I'm sure the first thought that just popped into your head was that you're sorry.  Yes, it's an unfortunate situation, but I'm OK.  In fact, over the past few weeks I've had the time to get back into some old hobbies and do things that I always said I didn't have time to.  So yes, I've got more time on my hands which is a huge part of why I started this blog.

This blog is actually a re-vamped version of a blog I started 6 years ago.  Wow, I seriously can't believe it's been that long.  When I first started this blog in 2014, I had no idea what I was doing.  So here's the new and improved version for you!

But back to the big question - why?  There are plenty of things I could be doing during this time off that don't feel like work.  While this is true, I spent the first week of my quarantine cleaning my apartment every day and after a few days, there wasn't much left to do.  I could feel myself on the verge of boredom - not quite there yet, but not sure what I would do with all my free time if this kept up.

So I started thinking about the things I used to enjoy - photography and writing - and that's when I came up with the idea of writing a blog.  It occurred to me to start from scratch, but I figured that since a lot of the content I'm writing will be similar to the original intent of The Skinnie Foodie, it just made more sense to start with the root of what I already had.




I first started getting into photography in high school and I've had this Nikon ever since.  I BEGGED my parents to buy it for me for a special occasion - birthday, Christmas, I don't quite remember.  I took photography classes in high school and college and then completely stopped taking photos once I started working full time.  It's not easy to work and have hobbies, let alone trying to cook, be a dog mom, and work out regularly.  So a few months ago when I was cleaning my apartment, I found my old Nikon shoved in the back of my closet.  I pulled it out and took a few photos of Bella, but then just kind of put it to the side until now.

No, the photos on my blog aren't going to be award-winning, especially since they're essentially confined to my apartment at this point.  But the main thing is that I'm trying, I'm putting myself out there, and I'm having fun!

It's not easy to "be a blogger" (not that I would categorize myself like that quite yet), but so far it's been extremely rewarding.  Not in the sense that I'm getting a lot of "likes" or "follows" or making any money off this.  That's not what it's about.  It's about re-discovering what I was once passionate about.  Obviously it's not an ideal situation to be furloughed, but the silver lining is that I'm actually happier than I've been in a long time.  Let's talk again once I haven't gotten a paycheck in a few weeks and my mindset might be a little different, but for now, I'm feeling excitement and passion that I haven't felt in a long time.

So read if you want.  Like my posts if you want.  And try out my suggestions if you want.  If it's not for you, that's cool too.  I'm just a girl trying to pass the time, have fun, and spread a little wisdom out in the world.  If you like what I'm doing, stay tuned and I'll have more content for you soon!

And a big THANK YOU to my parents for investing in a camera that has lasted over the years.



Comments

Popular Posts