Farro Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette

One of the things I love about salads is that you can combine ingredients you have in your pantry or fridge and toss them in a dressing to make a tasty meal.  I had some leftover farro from the last time I made a salad with it, so it just made sense to use it up rather than buying another grain.  I also love Israeli (or pearl) couscous in salads because it adds a little body to the salad to make it more filling.

The secret to a satisfying salad is to add ingredients that will make it filling.  This salad on it's own without the farro wouldn't be the same.  It's a simple recipe, but every ingredient brings something different to the table and combines to make a tasty and healthy salad.  I paired my salad with dijon baked salmon because I like to have proteins with my salad.  Not into that idea?  That's okay too, you can have this salad on it's own or top it with avocado for a full meal.


I often times make my own vinaigrette's for salads because it's really simple and it makes eating salads regularly more exciting. For this salad, I made a light dijon vinaigrette that brought some great acidity and brightness to the salad.  My favorite way to make salad dressings is to put all the ingredients into an airtight container and shake it to emulsify the dressing.  It can be hard work to stir or beat a dressing in a bowl to get the oil and vinegar to combine, so this is a quick and easy way to combine the ingredients.  It also means less clean up because you can store your dressing in the same container you made it in!

Total Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 3-4

Ingredients:
For the salad:
2 cups farro, cooked and cooled
1 large bell pepper
1 large (or 2 small) cucumbers
1 cup parsley
2 cups spinach, roughly chopped

For the dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbs dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt

Instructions:

  1. Chop the cucumber and bell pepper into bite-sized pieces.
  2. Chop the parsley and toss in a bowl with the cucumber and bell pepper.
  3. Add the farro and spinach until incorporated.
  4. Make the dressing: add the ingredients to an airtight container and shake until emulsified.
  5. Toss your salad with a small amount of dressing and enjoy!








Comments

Popular Posts