Guerrilla Tacos

It's no secret, small businesses are struggling right now and restaurants are trying new and creative ways to make money. If you know my husband and I at all, you know that we love tacos.  In fact, we had a taco guy come and set up a taco station for our rehearsal dinner before our wedding.  So needless to say, when we heard that Guerrilla Tacos was making "Emergency Taco Kits," we were 100% sold.

In this kit, you receive 10 pounds of cooked meat - 5 pounds of chicken & 5 pounds of carne asada - 2 pints of salsa, tortillas, onions/cilantro, rice & beans, 30 eggs, and last but not least, a roll of toilet paper!  They also have mini kits now with 2 pounds of each kind of meat (but trust me, you'll want the full kit).

Ryan and I froze a lot of the meat and have been eating tacos just about every day and let me tell you, I'm not sick of them yet.  We've been adapting our combinations and doing bowls to keep things interesting, but the truth is, we just love tacos.  Any way, any time, any place.

So here's what's for lunch today.  Meat, beans, tortillas and salsa compliments of Guerrilla Tacos with homemade quick pickled carrots and cotija cheese.



You might ask - pickled carrots?  Why?  Well let me tell you.

I had some shredded carrots left in the fridge and I thought, what the heck let's try these out!  Luckily, my husband Ryan went through a pickling phase last year and we still have a ton of pickling ingredients left over.  When I tasted the pickled carrots on their own, I wasn't totally sold, but I put them on my tacos anyway.  What I tasted when I bit into them was sheer perfection.  You get a nice earthiness from the black beans and a little spiciness from the salsa.  Then you're hit with some salty goodness from the cotija cheese and then the acidity of the pickles hits you.

Oh, and if you weren't sure that you could eat tacos without margaritas, they sell emergency margarita kits as well.  You're welcome.


We're so happy with how this is all going, I think we might just order another emergency taco kit.

Quick Pickled Carrot Recipe:

1.5 cups (approx) shredded carrots
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
2 tbs dried dill
2 tbs black peppercorns
2 tbs mustard seeds
3 tbs salt

  • Place all ingredients (other than the carrots) in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil
  • Place carrots in a 16oz mason jar
  • Once the liquid in your pot is boiling, pour them over the carrots in the mason jar
  • Set your jar in the fridge for at least 2 hours to cool before enjoying

Comments

Popular Posts