Banana Surprise Muffins

Alright, I get it.  Banana bread/muffins are SOO basic right now.  But not these banana muffins.  These banana surprise muffins have, well, a surprise in them.  In the center of each muffin, there is something special - some with blackberries, some with chocolate chips, others with peanut butter, and one special one with chocolate and peanut butter.  Why?  I think we could all use a little surprise in our lives right now.

Another surprise is that I don't add any sugar in my baking - I use a little honey instead.  I hate when baking recipes use the same amount of sugar as flour.  How am supposed to enjoy a muffin knowing I'm eating 1/4 cup of sugar per muffin?  These muffins only have 2 tablespoons of honey in them, and guess what?  They're plenty sweet!



Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 12 muffins - I'm not going to tell you a serving size.  You choose how many muffins you want to eat :)

Ingredients:

3 overripe bananas
2 tbs honey
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbs vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Optional: any surprise ingredients you want to fill your muffins with!

Instructions:

Alright, so here's where things might get a little controversial.  Typically, you're supposed to mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients separately.  Since we're not adding any sugar in this recipe (and since I'm lazy and don't want to clean 2 bowls), I mix everything in one bowl.  And guess what?  The muffins still turn out amazing.  So here are my easy, lazy instructions.


  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Mash bananas
  3. Add and mix in cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and honey.  Now add the vegetable oil and egg, then mix.
  4. Add in the baking soda and 1 cup flour, folding in the dry ingredients.  Add the rest of the flour and mix until combined.
  5. For surprise muffins, add mixture to a greased muffin tin, about 1/3 of the way up the tin.  Add your surprise ingredients in the center and then cover with the rest of the mixture.
  6. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
  7. Let rest for a few minutes before removing from the tins and cooling on a baking tray.
  8. Enjoy!



Mash that banana!


Add in your vanilla and spices.


Add the base of your muffins - about 1/3 of the way up the tin.


Add your surprise ingredients.  I used chocolate chips, blackberries, and peanut butter.  I also left a few basic ones because these muffins are great on their own too!



The final result.  These truly are surprise muffins because you can't tell what's inside each!


But how sexy is that interior?? Yes!
Chocolate peanut butter muffin.  Please excuse me while I stuff my face.


Blackberry filled muffins.  These exploded with fresh berry flavor.  I seriously recommend using a combination of ingredients to fill your muffins with, but fresh berries are a MUST.


What would you fill your muffins with?  I'd love to hear!

Comments

Popular Posts