BKK101 Thai

I'm going to start off this review by saying that I'm usually hesitant to try a new Thai restaurant if I don't know anybody who's eaten there before.  There are a lot of mediocre Thai restaurants out there that pass for "good" because they're "good enough."  Well, "good enough" isn't good enough for me!  So when I first tried BKK101, I was a little nervous, but I'm glad I tried it.  It's a local spot with really speedy delivery and tasty food.  



So here's what we ordered:
  • Veggie Rolls: Vegetables, egg roll wrapper, and sweet & sour sauce. You can't go wrong with a veggie roll.  These are a classic and they're good every time.
  • Pad See Ew: Broad flat rice noodle, egg, Chinese broccoli, broccoli, and sweet soy sauce.  While this isn't a Thai dish, they do it really well at BKK101.  I always get it with pork because I think it gives the dish an extra dimension.
  • Chinese Broccoli: Chinese broccoli, crispy pork belly, oyster sauce, and roasted red chili. Served with jasmine rice.  Again, not a Thai dish, but a super tasty one.  It's kind of a play on beef with broccoli, but with super crispy pork belly, which I'm not mad about.  The depth of flavor in this sauce was amazing.  This was our first time getting this dish, but we're definitely going to have to get it again.
  • Panang Curry: Red curry, bell pepper, and kaffir lime leaves. Served with jasmine rice.  This curry is absolutely delicious - just the perfect combination of sweet & creamy while being spicy and having a great depth of flavor.  We got it medium spicy which is plenty spicy for me.
  • Original Thai Fried Rice: Rice, onion, scallion, tomato and egg.  This was a great classic fried rice dish that we ordered with chicken as the protein.
Oh and this was a ton of food, so we didn't finish it all.  As I've mentioned before though, I love leftovers!  I also always have a hard time narrowing down what I want to eat because I like to have a variety of dishes.

On the bottom: the Chinese broccoli with super crispy bites of pork belly.  The sauce on this dish is super tasty and the pork belly is super duper crispy.  The back dish is the pad see ew.


Here's the fried rice:


Classic veggie roll:


Panang Curry: We ordered this medium spicy and it was super duper spicy for me.  Ryan didn't think it was that bad, but he has a really high tolerance for spice.


Here are some things we've ordered in the past that were delicious too:
  • Som Tum: Green papaya, carrot, green bean, cherry tomatoes, garlic, Thai chili, grilled shrimp, palm sugar, fish sauce, tamarind juice, lime juice, and roasted peanut. This papaya salad is bright and acidic and is a really nice and refreshing way to start your meal.
  • Pork Jerky: Tenderloin marinated pork, a mixture of spice, and spicy sauce.   It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like.  Strips of pork, marinated and dried out to create a jerky-like texture.  It's absolutely delicious and a great appetizer for meat lovers.
I love this place because the food is always delivered quickly and it hot and delicious.  Remember to keep supporting your local businesses!

Comments

Popular Posts