Sleepy Time

I've never been a good sleeper.  Ever since I was a kid, I've had trouble falling asleep and have been an incredibly light sleeper.  The second I lay my head down on my pillow, rather than relaxing, my brain decides to think about anything and everything.  Over the years I've tried quite a few different tactics to help me fall asleep - including counting German shepherds instead of sheep - and I'm here to share with you the things that have worked best for me! Check them out below:


  1. Meditation: this has been by far the most successful tool in helping me fall and stay asleep.  Doing a meditation routine right before going to sleep has been a great tool for me, but doesn't always work.  I've found that I need to meditate and then immediately go to sleep in order for it to work.  I can't stay up chatting with my husband and then try going to bed or the effects of the meditation will be mostly lost.
  2. Aromatherapy: I've tried a few different types of aromatherapy including a topical cream, pillow sprays, and diffused essential oils.  My favorite technique is diffusing a combination of eucalyptus and spearmint by my bedside as I wind down for the night and get ready for bed.  This combination is soothing and relaxing and combined with other techniques can help me fall asleep faster and get a better night's rest.
  3. Reading: Not scrolling through my phone, but reading a good old-fashioned book can help put my mind at ease before going to bed.  This is a technique I used a lot when I was younger - I would stay up for hours reading after bedtime before getting really tired and falling asleep.  I think part of the reason why this works is because my brain is getting immersed in a story rather than thinking about reality and stressing about work.  Find a really good book and try reading for 15-30 minutes before bed and I bet you'll notice a difference.
  4. Peppermint Tea: Any tea really will do the trick, but I love peppermint tea before bed.  It's especially important if you've been enjoying a glass of wine or two to swap over to tea before bed.  I find that the sugar in wine can keep me from getting a good night's sleep, so by switching over to tea early in the evening, I can feel the calming effects of the tea and avoid the opposite effect wine has.
  5. Supplements: I know that some people swear by melatonin, but when I've tried it in the past, I've woken up foggy and groggy.  It's worth testing out if you're a troubled sleeper like me, but just know that it may not be the best solution.  I've also tried Moon Juice Dream Dust, which is a mushroom-based all-natural sleeping supplement that helped me fall asleep without the morning-after fogg.  Taking this in combination with the above measures helps ensure a great night's sleep.
One of the biggest things I've found is that you have to find what works for you and stick to it.  I find that the nights where I meditate before bed, I sleep infinitely better than the nights I don't.  Even with that, I'm not as consistent with it as I should be.  If you experience trouble falling asleep, I encourage you to try a few of these different techniques to see if they help you.  Even if you don't have trouble sleeping, these practices can help calm your mind and give you some peace.

Comments

Popular Posts