Skincare Essentials

I got really into skincare a few years ago and haven't looked back since.  It's one of those things that once you start, you just can't stop.  How did I get there?  There were a couple of things.  First, I felt like I was exfoliating a good amount, but I was having minor break outs just about every week.  When I started to think about it, I would think - I feel like I just exfoliated, but I don't remember exactly when.  That's when I got into a scheduled routine, because even though I would feel like I "just" exfoliated, realistically the time was going by so quickly that it had often been 4 or 5 days.  This was when I discovered that it was important to get into a routine and stick to it.  And guess what?  It totally worked!

Another thing that helped get me into skincare was participating in a free Arcona facial at Nordstrom.  The facial was free and the esthetician would recommend different products from their line.  There was no pressure to stock up on everything, but you just had to purchase something from the line.  With my first facial, I bought a few products that I absolutely loved.  A few more facials later and I pretty much own the entire line now.  Plus, I could just re-stock my favorite products when I ran out and get a free facial!  Pretty cool, right?  Unfortunately because of COVID-19, I don't know if this will be happening again anytime soon, but I'm glad I took advantage of it while I could.

So let me share with you a few of my favorite skincare "essentials" and I'll give you the rundown of my weekly routine.  Because of the Arcona facials, a lot of my skincare products are Arcona, but I do have some other go-to brands and products as well.  I also want to note that I am not an esthetician and can't guarantee that these products will work for you, just that they work for me and I thought I would share them with you.



Starting from the top:

Arcona Raspberry Resurfacing Peel: I use this peel every other week and it's absolutely amazing.  You get a bit of a tingling feeling while it's on your face, but it's a very gentle peel.  After a few uses, you'll notice a huge difference in the texture and feel of your skin.  Your skin will be super soft and your makeup will go on much smoother.  This is a product that I can't live without!

Dr. Dennis Gross Vitamin C Serum: I recently started using this vitamin C serum and love it.  I used to use a different vitamin C serum in the morning, but I love that this serum has has collagen in it as well.  Vitamin C is essential for your skin's elasticity and firmness, so it's a great product to use daily.

Love Wellness Good To Glow:  I just started taking these supplements 2 weeks ago, so I can't really say much about them yet, but they're a vitamin C and collagen supplement so you can treat your skin from the outside and the inside.

Arcona Magic Black Ice Exfoliating Mask: This mask is truly magical.  I alternate using this on weeks when I don't use the raspberry peel so I don't do too much exfoliating.  This mask is like a 2-in-1 clay mask and master exfoliate.  After your first use, you'll see that your skin is instantly smoother and softer.

Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate: This nighttime oil is amazing.  I have dry skin, so especially as I get older it's so important that I moisturize thoroughly.  I've used other skin oils in the past that made me break out, but this one is the best.  I use it every night before bed and wake up with soft, smooth, and moist skin.

That may seem like a lot to you, but wait until you see my weekly routine!  Don't ask me why, but I start my skincare routine with Monday's.  That's kind of how I like to look at the week anyways, so I guess it makes sense.


Monday:
Morning:
  • Cleanse with Arcona toner tea bar cleanser
  • Use vitamin C serum
  • Moisturize with Acrona Magic Dry Ice
Night:
  • Remove makeup with Burt's Bees micellar water makeup wipes
  • Cleanse with Youth to the People Superfood Cleanser
  • Either use Magic Black Ice mask on its own or Raspberry Resurfacing Peel followed by Arcona Tea Tree Mask
  • Arcona Advanced A Serum - an anti-aging serum
  • Moisturize 
  • Facial Oil - allow that to sink in for 5-10 minutes
  • Top with Arcona Hydrating Serum - a hylauronic acid serum to lock in moisture
Tuesday & Sunday:
Morning:
  • Cleanse with toner tea bar
  • Vitamin C serum
  • Moisturize 
Night:
  • Remove makeup with makeup wipes
  • Cleanse with Superfood Cleanser
  • Advanced A Serum
  • Moisturize 
  • Facial Oil
  • Hydrating Serum
Wednesday & Friday:
Morning:
  • Cleanse with toner tea bar 
  • Use vitamin C serum
  • Moisturize 
Night:
  • Remove makeup with makeup wipes
  • Cleanse with Superfood Cleanser
  • Apply Arcona Gentle Solution - a nighttime treatment to resurface your skin
  • Moisturize 
  • Facial Oil
  • Hydrating Serum
Thursday & Saturday:
Morning:
  • Exfoliate with Arcona Cranberry Gommage**
  • Use vitamin C serum
  • Moisturize 
Night:
  • Remove makeup with makeup wipes
  • Cleanse with Superfood Cleanser
  • Advanced A Serum
  • Moisturize 
  • Facial Oil
  • Hydrating Serum
**When I got my first Arcona facial, the gentle solution and cranberry gommage were the first products I purchased.  The esthetician described them as a husband and wife - the gentle solution is the husband that does the construction work in the apartment and the gommage is the wife who comes in and cleans up the paint/dust after the husband.  Don't be upset about the stereotypical gender roles in that example, it's just a good way of describing how the two products work hand-in-hand.  They work best when they work together as a team, so that's how I always use them.

You might be wondering WHY all the expensive products and how much money do you spend on skincare?  The truth is that while I may spend more than the average person on skincare products, these products are not very expensive and last a few months depending on how often they are used.  I replace my moisturizer every couple months since I use it twice daily, but other products like serums and masks that are used less often can last anywhere from 4-9 months.

Let me tell you a story about skincare that may help you understand a little more too.  About 2 years ago, I developed these dark brownish-yellow lines under my eyes.  Not bags under my eyes, but colored lines right around my cheekbone.  Nobody ever said anything to me about them, but I was really self-conscious about them and tried covering them up with makeup.  I consulted Google and tried to figure out what it was, but couldn't.

One day, about a month ago it dawned on me.  Maybe it's hyper pigmentation.  Maybe it's because when I use exfoliate/peel I'm careful not to use the products on my sensitive under-eye skin and I'm just missing this section of my face.  Within a week of doing my SAME skincare routine, but being conscious of hitting that area with my exfoliants and peels, I could already see a difference.  Now, a month later, one of my under-eye circles is almost gone and the other one is well on its way.  I no longer feel like a raccoon when I don't have makeup on and feel more confident in my own skin.

So yes, this may seem like a tedious and expensive skincare routine, but it works for me.  If you don't take care of your skin, but are thinking about stepping up your routine, I highly encourage you (when you can again) to go to a Nordstrom or esthetician that can sample products for you or give you a facial and sell you the exact products they use on your skin.  My favorite part about going to Nordstrom is that they can give you samples to try out the product before you commit to buying it (plus you can't beat their return policy).  Everyone's skin is a little different and sometimes there are products that work for others, but just don't work for you.  That's okay, but don't give up on exploring the wonderful world of skincare. 💕 I promise, your skin will thank you!

Comments

Popular Posts