Easy Huevos Rancheros

Weekend brunch has become a bit of a tradition in our household recently, but that doesn't mean that it has to be difficult.  We've been eating a lot of Mexican food, so we made these huevos rancheros from ingredients we had laying around the kitchen.  My favorite part about this recipe was that it was so good and easy, I don't know why I haven't made it before!  We made a healthy version of this dish by baking the tortillas rather than frying them and using black beans rather than re-fried beans, but it was still just as delicious.

Now I don't know about you, but I like to have a good-sized breakfast at the start of my day.  The thought of only having one egg with this recipe just didn't seem like enough, so I opted for two.  By using a small sauce pan and putting a top on it, I was able to get 2 perfectly cooked eggs in just 2-3 minutes.  The best part?  The eggs were so easy to cook and had an amazingly runny yolk.  I don't know why I've never cooked eggs like this before!  I usually opt for flipping my eggs and frying them rather than only cooking them on one side because I hate a runny white.  There's nothing more disgusting to me than a snotty, runny egg white, so it's important to cook the whites through while keeping the yolk runny.  


Servings: 2
Total Time: 16 minutes

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 corn tortillas
1 avocado
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup salsa
2 tbs cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tsp olive oil
Salt
Hot sauce to taste

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Lightly coat tortillas with olive oil on both sides and salt.
  3. Bake tortillas for 8 minutes per side.
  4. While tortillas are coking, cook eggs in a small pan for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, covered.
  5. To plate, add the tortilla to the bottom, top with beans, salsa, eggs, hot sauce, and avocado on the side.

Comments

Popular Posts