Bougie Eggs Benedict

Happy Father's Day everyone!  There's no better way to celebrate a holiday than with a delicious brunch.  Eggs Benedict is one of my go-to brunch meals, but I have to say that I'm a little bougie when it comes to my benedicts.  I didn't have my first benedict until I was in my 20's and when I did, it totally changed up my brunch game.  My first benedict came from Tavern restaurant in Brentwood and it was absolutely delicious.  This wasn't your average benedict though - it came on thick, delicious bread with melted cheese, prosciutto, arugula, and of course poached eggs.  Ever since this benedict I've been hooked, but I can't eat the standard ham and English muffin style.  So here's my version of a bougie benedict.


When I was making this recipe, I considered making a hollandaise sauce from scratch, but then decided it didn't need it.  Hollandaise sauce is extremely rich and heavy and while it's delicious, adding it to a benedict like this could easily knock you out of commission for the afternoon.  With the rich, creaminess of the avocado and the egg yolk, I decided that this benedict didn't need and extra richness.  Plus I always add hot sauce to my eggs, so I chose to top my benedict with a little Yellowbird Serrano hot sauce instead.  I'll be honest, I didn't miss the hollandaise sauce at all and you won't either.

Total Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 1

Ingredients:
1 thick slice pretzel bread
1/2 avocado, mashed
1/4 cup arugula
2-3 slices prosciutto
2 eggs
1 tbs butter
Hot sauce & paprika to taste

Instructions:
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and then reduce until only small bubbles form. 
  2. While your water is heating up, heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat.  Butter both sides of your pretzel bread and add to the cast iron pan.  Toast the bread on both sides until browned and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side.
  3. While your bread is toasting, stir the large pot of water to create a whirlpool effect.  Crack an egg and drop into the center of the whirlpool.  Continue to gently stir the water until the whites of the egg come together.  Poach the egg for 3 minutes, until the whites have solidified and the yolk is still soft.
  4. Remove the egg from the pot, let sit in a bowl of ice water for 30 seconds, and then set aside on a clean plate.  Repeat the poaching process with your second egg.
  5. To assemble the benedict, coat your toasted bread with mashed avocado, add your arugula, then lay the prosciutto slices on top, add your poached eggs and top with hot sauce & paprika.
  6. Cut into your beautifully poached eggs and enjoy a delicious, runny yolk.


Comments

Popular Posts