Vegan Biscuits

Happy 5th of July everyone!  We enjoyed some delicious BBQ for the 4th, but for some reason, I couldn't imagine eating BBQ without some homemade biscuits.  Since Ryan is lactose intolerant, buttermilk biscuits were out of the question.  I also didn't want to have to go to the store, so I was stuck with whatever ingredients we already had.  After a short while, I found a vegan biscuit recipe that only used ingredients we had on hand, so I was sold.  I've never made biscuits before, so I kept my expectations low.  The result: absolutely delicious, but slightly small biscuits.  I flattened my dough out to probably 1/2 an inch rather than a full inch, so my biscuits didn't rise very tall, but they were still very fluffy and tasty.

As many of you know, I'm an amateur baker, so I tend to use what I have and make it work.  Don't have a cookie or biscuit cutter?  No problem, I used a mason jar to cut my biscuits.  Since I flattened my dough too thin, I ended up with about 20 short biscuits, but they had an amazing flavor and texture to them.  I added an optional step at the end, which I totally recommend.  The biscuits were baked to perfection after 12 minutes, but lacked any kind of color.  So what did I do?  Brush them with butter, crack a little salt over the top, and then broil them until the tops were beautifully golden brown.  While not "necessary," I 100% recommend this step since it gave great color, texture, and flavor to the biscuits.


When debating whether or not to make biscuits, I thought to myself what are we going to do with all the extras?  Well, we ate about 75% of them yesterday, but here are some tasty ways we enjoyed them.  Use them as a side to sop up delicious sauce, dip them in maple syrup 🤤, or use them as slider buns.  Yes, we did all of those things yesterday and they were all perfect.  You can also go simple and just add some butter or jam to them.  The possibilities are truly endless.  So if you're debating whether or not to make biscuits, the answer is you should definitely do it.

Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12 biscuits

Ingredients:
4 cups AP flour
1 3/4 cup almond milk
3/4 cup vegan butter
2 tbs baking powder
1 tbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
  2. Add apple cider vinegar to almond milk, stir, and set aside for 5-10 minutes
  3. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well
  4. Cube chilled vegan butter and add to dry mixture.  Cut and mix using a fork until it has a sandy texture.
  5. Add almond milk and fold in, mixing until just combined.
  6. Place on a flat, floured surface and sprinkle more flour on top.  Gently squish down and fold in half.  Do this 5-6 times.
  7. Flatten out until about 1" thick and cut into 2 1/2 inch circles.
  8. Place on a baking sheet & bake for 12 minutes or until the bottoms are light golden brown.
  9. Optional: remove from oven, brush with butter, top with salt and broil for 1-2 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.


Comments

Popular Posts