Herby Summer Salad w/Crispy Chicken

I had a hard time thinking what I was going to call this recipe - it's kind of a smorgasbord of things I like all mixed together.  So let's start with the base - wheat berries, because I'm obsessed with them and they're full of nutrients, arugula because it's one of my favorite punchy greens, and peas because I love the sweetness they give to recipes.  Additionally, chicken because I wanted to add some protein and fattiness to the recipe.  For herbs, dill because I love the freshness it brings to a salad and basil because it makes a great sauce and I had some leaves left over.  Toss in a little feta cheese for a touch of salty goodness and you've got yourself a delicious and hearty summer salad that's full of flavor.

This recipe is a great example of why cooking doesn't have to be hard.  I was inspired to make an herby salad dressing by another food blogger and then essentially just threw together ingredients.  And you know what?  It was delicious!  I was originally going to make this salad with salmon, but then swapped to chicken at the last minute.  I'm sure salmon would be equally delicious and bring a different flavor profile to the table.  What I love about this salad is the combination of flavors and the bright herbaceous flavor of the dressing.  This is my first (but definitely not my last) herby salad dressing that I've made.  It's as easy as tossing some herbs in a food processor with some garlic, acidity and oil and you've got a delicious dressing or sauce.



Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4-5

Ingredients:
For the Salad:
2 cups wheat berries (or grain of choice), cooked and cooled
1 cup fresh peas
7 oz arugula (about 6 cups)
1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs
1/4 cup fresh dill
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup feta cheese
Salt & Pepper
2 tbs avocado oil

For the Dressing:
2 1/2 cups fresh basil
2 tbs fresh dill
4 cloves garlic
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions:
  1. Add dressing ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until thoroughly combined.  Set aside.
  2. Preheat cast iron pan over high heat for 1-2 minutes.
  3. While cast iron is preheating, salt and pepper both sides of chicken thighs.  Once cast iron is preheated, add oil and chicken.  Cook chicken over medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes, until a dark brown crust forms.  Flip and cook for 3-4 minutes, until cooked through.  Set aside to cool.
  4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add fresh peas for 90 seconds and then drain and rinse with cold water.
  5. Chop remaining basil and dill into 1/4" segments.
  6. Add salad ingredients to a large bowl - begin with arugula, top with wheat berries, peas, feta, herbs, and then add sliced chicken once cooled.
  7. Toss with dressing and enjoy!  If saving leftovers, toss individual salads with dressing to ensure freshness.




 

Comments

Popular Posts