Teriyaki Salmon Bowl

Fun fish fact!  Did you know that salmon has WAY more Omega-3 fatty acids than other types of fish?  I've been eating a lot of cod recently because I know fish is a healthy protein and contains omega-3s.  The other day, Ryan mentioned that salmon has more Omega-3s than other fish, so I looked it up.  Cod has 221 mg of omega-3 fatty acids per 100 grams while the same serving of salmon has 2,260 mg.  That's 10x the amount!  So no, I'm not going on an all-salmon diet or anything, but I'm definitely going to eat more salmon.

The other day Ryan was looking for a new way to eat salmon using the ingredients we had on hand.  I instructed him to make something similar to this dish and he loved it!  We didn't have toasted sesame oil or rice vinegar at the time, so I told him that I would make this recipe and share it with him if it turned out well.  So I shared a bite with him when I had my first serving and the verdict was that it was super tasty. The secret to this is that you need to marinade the salmon for 30 minutes before cooking it.  This gets the flavor to penetrate the fish so you have more depth of flavor.  The great thing is that I use the same mix as a marinade and a sauce, so it's really easy to make.


This was honestly SUCH an easy recipe and is full of veggies and Omega-3s and healthy proteins.  Ryan asked me a few weeks ago why I make things so hard on myself - aka why do I make such complicated recipes.  And it's true, sometimes I get stressed out when I'm hungry and trying to make a complicated recipe + take photos of it.  So this recipe was one of those easy, delicious, and healthy recipes that took very little time and effort.  Sometimes things that are simple are just as delicious as complex recipes.  So if you're looking for a good meal but don't have any cooking skills, this one is for you.  Since you're baking the salmon and cauliflower rice/blanched kale are pretty hard to mess up, this is a great recipe for beginners.  Or for those of us who need a break from spending hours in the kitchen.

Total Time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes to marinade
Servings: 4

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs salmon, cut into 4 even pieces
4 cups raw kale (can sub broccoli, bok choi or other green)
2 cups edamame
4 cups riced cauliflower
1 tbs olive oil
Optional: chopped peanuts for topping

For the marinade/sauce:
1 cup soy sauce or tamari
2 tbs rice vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tsp honey
4 tsp hot sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Instructions:
  1. Mix together marinade ingredients and marinade salmon in 1/3 cup of sauce for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 375° F.
  3. Bake salmon for 15-20 minutes, until just cooked through.
  4. While the salmon is baking, saute the cauliflower rice with olive oil for 3-5 minutes, until softened.
  5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch the kale for 1-2 minutes.
  6. To plate, add the cauliflower rice to the bottom of the bowl, 1 portion of salmon, and add kale and edamame on the sides.  Drizzle with sauce to taste and enjoy!






Comments

Popular Posts