Garlic Rosemary Focaccia

I'm slowly but surely making my way through all the breads.  Focaccia was one of the first recipes I decided to try, but it took me a long time to get around to making it.  Why? I don't know because it doesn't take that long to rise or cook!  It was one of the easier breads to make, so I'll definitely be making it again.  Since I can't seem to just make basic bread, I added roasted garlic and rosemary as well.  It's a combo I've tried with other loaves before, but you can't really go wrong with.  

It's been so interesting baking different types of bread and seeing the results.  They all include pretty much the same ingredients - flour, yeast, water, salt - yet they turn out so differently.  I love a good crusty bread for sandwiches and toast and such, but with the focaccia, you get something totally different.  It's a soft, light bread with just a tiny crisp on the outside.  Different, yes.  Delicious?  Absolutely.


I love freshly baked bread, so I don't think I could rank the breads I've made based on how much I enjoyed them.  In terms of an easy and quick (relatively) bread recipe, this bread is definitely #1.  Check out the recipe below to see for yourself!


Total Time: 3 hours
Servings: 1 loaf

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dry instant yeast
3/4 cup warm water
3 tbs olive oil, divided
3 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
1 head roasted garlic
1/4 tsp flaky sea salt

Instructions:
  1. Add the flour, salt and yeast in a bowl and mix.  Add 2 tbs oil and water and stir until combined.
  2. Add the chopped rosemary and mashes, roasted garlic and knead until combined.
  3. Form dough into a ball, coat with olive oil and place in a medium bowl, covered.  Allow to rest for 2 hours.
  4. Drizzle 1 tbs oil in the bottom of a 10 or 12" cast iron pan.  Punch down the dough in the skillet and press until it reaches the edges.  Allow to rest for 30-40 minutes.
  5. Preheat the oven to 450° F.
  6. Use your fingertips to gently dimple the dough.  Drizzle the remaining 1 tbs of oil over the dough, sprinkle with 1 tbs rosemary and flaky salt.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
  8. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.


Comments

Popular Posts