Chia Fig Jam

 I've been loving the fresh berries and fruit I've been getting from the farmer's market and was inspired to make a chia seed jam.  I thought about doing blueberry or blackberry, but the fresh figs I've been enjoying have just been so superb, I decided that I needed to make a chia fig jam.  I looked up a couple recipes and they all used about the same ingredients.  What I found was that I didn't really need to use that much honey to sweeten the jam because the figs were already so amazingly sweet.  So I kicked up the lemon juice and chia seeds and cut down the amount of honey the recipe called for.  This led me to this perfectly flavored and textured jam that I just can't get enough of.  In addition to spreading it on toast, I've also enjoyed adding it to my overnight oats in the morning.  I honestly can't get enough of this stuff and I think you'll enjoy it too!  This was my first time making jam and I couldn't believe how easy it was.  Check out how you can enjoy some chia fig jam below:



Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 32 - with 1 tbs serving size

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh figs, chopped
1/4 cup honey
3 tbs chia seeds
1 tbs lemon juice

Instructions:
  1. Add the figs to a pot over medium heat and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Once the figs are broken down, mash them with a fork or spoon to create a jam-like consistency.  
  3. Add honey and lemon juice and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes to incorporate.
  4. Remove from heat and add chia seeds.  Allow to firm up and cool for 5 minutes before adding to a mason jar or airtight container and refrigerating.

Comments

Popular Posts