Butternut Squash Salad w/Pomegranate & Goat Cheese

Butternut squash is my absolute favorite squash.  I love it in soups and pastas sauces, but those are super fall recipes and I'm not quite ready for that yet.  So instead, I decided to make this great light & fresh salad full of seasonal ingredients.  It's been a long time since I've cooked a full butternut squash.  The last time I chopped a butternut squash, I chopped a little bit of the tip of my finger off, so I've been a little skeptical to do it again.  Luckily, Trader Joe's sells cubed butternut squash, so I've still been able to enjoy the flavor of butternut squash without the fear of cutting any fingers off.  This time though, I was committed to facing my fears and chopping a full squash.  The secret?  Well, first you need sharp knives, which I did this time around.  Second, I peeled the squash with a vegetable peeler first before chopping in half and into cubes.  This was way easier than chopping the skin off with a knife (which I obviously don't recommend from personal experience).

Roast the butternut squash until just browned and allow to cool before topping your favorite greens with sweet squash, acidic pomegranate seeds, creamy goat cheese and crunchy salty pepitas.  This salad, while super easy to make, is full of so many delicious & bold flavors that pair perfectly together. 


Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 5

Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash, cubed
6 oz goat cheese
3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
8 cups spinach
3/4 cup pepitas
2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt

For the Dressing:
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400° F. 
  2. Toss the squash cubes in olive oil and salt and place on a baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes, stir and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
  3. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
  4. While the squash is cooling, mix the dressing ingredients.
  5. To make the salad, top spinach with squash, pomegranate seeds, goat cheese, and pepitas.  Toss individual servings with the dressing.


Comments

Popular Posts