Watermelon Feta & Mint Salad w/Sweet & Spicy Dressing

Does the world really need another watermelon and feta salad recipe?  Probably not, but I put a little twist on this, so I hope you enjoy!  I love adding mint to recipes - it gives such a great herbaceous flavor to salads, dressings, etc.  The problem with a lot of mint recipes is that you need a TON of mint (cups worth) to make them and since I was harvesting our small crop of freshly grown mint, I knew we didn't have enough to make a mint sauce/spread.  I've also been craving fresh watermelon because there's really nothing better on a hot summer day.  I wanted to do something a little different with my salad (especially since Ryan can't have feta) so I decided to put cucumber in it and add a spicy dressing.  The dressing honestly made the salad and was so easy to make!  You know how chili powder/cayenne go great with sweet flavors?  Well, this dressing is a little sweet, a little tangy, and a little spicy, so it goes perfectly with the salad.  You really get all the flavors because you get the saltiness from the feta and the herbaceous flavor from the mint.  So yes, it's another watermelon & feta salad, but it's also kicked up a couple notches, which is why I figured I would share it. 



Total Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 4-6

Ingredients:
For the Salad:
1/2 medium sized watermelon
1 medium sized cucumber
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup mint

For the Dressing:
1/4 cup honey
Juice of 2 limes
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Dash of salt


Instructions:
  1. Chop your watermelon and cucumber into 1/2"-1" cubes.
  2. Cut mint leaves into halves or thirds, depending on the size of the leaves (you don't want them too small!)
  3. Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl
  4. Toss all ingredients together and serve immediately.

I had a little fun making a watermelon bowl for this recipe because, well why not?






Comments

Popular Posts