Grilled Fajita Salmon

I'm all about the grilled recipes this week since we just got a BBQ on our balcony.  I've make grilled chicken twice now, so I thought it was about time to try a new protein.  As you probably know by now, I love trying new ways to cook fish and salmon is one of my favorites because of all the omega-3 fatty acids it has in it.  I also opted for skin-on salmon which I usually don't cook, but I knew the grill would give it a great crispy texture.  I was SO thankful I did this because there's really nothing better than crispy skin.  

A couple weeks ago I made a bomb dry rub for some halibut that we put on fish tacos, so I figured I would do something similar for this recipe.  Again, I'm all about the grill this week so I decided that some bell peppers and zucchini tossed in spices and grilled up would be a great accompaniment to the salmon.  Throw down some black beans and guac (obviously) and you've got yourself an easy, delicious, & healthy dinner.  I topped my guac with a little lime and some pickled jalapenos for a little extra kick of acidity, which I highly recommend.  I'm all about creating recipes that balance the flavors of sweet, salty, creamy & acidic (and usually spicy). 



Now you may be wondering where I got the idea to add zucchini to this recipe.  I don't know if I've ever had zucchini in a fajita recipe, but they are such a versatile ingredient that I figured I might as well.  They are also absolutely delicious grilled and in season right now, so it just made sense.  

Total Time: 15-20 minutes
Servings: 3

Ingredients:
1lb skin on salmon fillets, cut in 3 pieces
3 bell peppers, assorted colors, thinly sliced
2 medium zucchinis, sliced in 1/4" rounds
1 can black beans
2-3 ripe avocados
2 limes
3 tbs avocado Oil
Salt & Pepper

For the Salmon Rub:
1 tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper*

For the Veggie Seasoning:
1 tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper*

*Or more if you want it spicy

Instructions:
  1. Preheat your grill over medium heat.
  2. Toss your separated veggies in 1 tbs avocado oil each and salt/pepper to taste.
  3. Lightly coat the skin of your salmon fillets with 1 tbs avocado oil and salt.
  4. Mix together rub & seasoning ingredients in two small bowls.  Add 3 tbs of the veggie seasoning to the bell peppers and the remaining seasoning to the zucchini.
  5. Pat the salmon dry before seasoning with salt and sprinkling with the chili rub.  Gently pat the rub onto the salmon, ensuring each piece is coated in spices.
  6. Add your salmon to the grill and cook over medium heat for 9-13 minutes, until cooked through.  Do not flip the salmon.
  7. Add your bell peppers to a sheet of aluminum foil and grill for 8-9 minutes, stirring 2-3 times during the cooking process.
  8. Cook the zucchini slices form 5-6 minutes, flipping half-way through cooking.
  9. While the salmon and veggies are grilling, mash your avocado with lime juice and salt to create guacamole topping.
  10. To plate, serve the salmon alongside the grilled veggies with a side of black beans and guacamole.  Squeeze the juice of 1/4 lime over each serving and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts