Umami Burger

3 1/2 out of 5 Stars

I've heard a lot of great things about Umami Burger, but for some reason I had never tried it before.  The Counter was always a more convenient burger restaurant, but I heard rumors that Umami Burger was WAY better, so I had to see what all the hype was about. 

On the front of the menu, it says "There is no substitution."  To me, this meant that you can't take out an item and exchange it for something else.  To my disappointment, it also means that you can't add anything either.  I asked my waitress to add avocado to my burger, but she refused.  Frustrated, I asked if I could get a side of avocado and she said that they do not do sides either.  I ordered the Truffle Burger (beef patty, truffle cheese, and truffle glaze) and had very high expectations since the customers are not allowed to make any changes or additions to the burger.  When the burger came out, it looked small and a little plain. 


I started the meal with the fried pickles (I absolutely love pickles) and was surprised to see that the pickles were spear shaped and not chips.  The first bite of the fried pickle was perfect.  The pickle was flavorful and bold, like it had just come out of the jar.  The jalapeno ranch dip, however, was disappointing.  It tasted watered down and I could not taste the flavor of the jalapeno at all.  I tried both soaking the pickle in the dip and eating the pickle without the dip and found that there was little to no difference between the two.  Although the dip was disappointing, the pickles were amazing and I would definitely order them again.


The first bite of my truffle burger was creamy, savory, and powerful.  Although I personally think it would have been much better with avocado (isn't everything?), the flavors of the burger melded beautifully together.  After a few bites, however, I wished that there were more flavors to the burger.  The burger was simple and tasty, but I had hoped for a little bit more.

*oxtail burger

My boyfriend, who was kind enough to let me sample his burger, ordered the Oxtail burger (beef patty, oxtail, truffle cheese, garlic aioli).  The oxtail, which was texturally similar to pulled pork, was juicy and powerful.  I tasted hints of beef and cheese in the burger, but the majority of the flavor I detected was the oxtail.  The flavors were moist and rich, but again, a little too simple for my taste.  My palette is accustomed to a multitude of flavors, so I was underwhelmed by the simplicity of the burgers.  Overall, the burgers were good, but did not live up to the reputation that Umami Burger had developed.  Personally, I still prefer the Counter for a perfect custom burger.

Comments

Popular Posts