Chipotle vs. Freebirds

As a recent college grad, I've become accustomed to penny-pinching when it comes to meals.  Just because something is inexpensive, however, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be tasty!  Ever since they brought Freebirds to Los Angeles, I haven't been back to Chipotle.  I thought it was time to settle the score once and for all with a side-by-side comparison of these two burrito establishments. 

Chipotle:
My total time inside Chipotle (including ordering and paying) was only 2 minutes and 54 seconds.  I was impressed by the sheer speed that they wrapped my burrito and got me out the door.  When you want a fast bite to eat, this is definitely something to keep in mind before you decide where to go.

Although I was impressed by the speed at Chipotle, I was less than impressed with the burrito.  I opted for a half steak and half Baracoa burrito with black beans, corn, cheese, and guacamole.  The quality of the ingredients was good, but the overall flavor of the burrito was bland.  If I had opted for the pinto beans (cooked with bacon) I may have been a little more impressed with the flavors, but I like to pretend like I'm being healthy even when I'm loading up on carbs.

Freebirds:
I spent about a minute longer in Freebirds than I did in Chipotle, but the service was friendly and warm, making the time difference insignificant.  The service was not only friendlier than at Chipotle, but there were more wrapping and filling options for the burrito including flavored tortillas, bacon, queso, and assorted dressings.

In the Freebirds burrito, I opted for the same basic ingredients as I did at Chipotle with Spanish rice instead of cilantro rice.  I was surprised by the immense differences in the flavors of these burritos.  The meat and the rice of the Freebirds burrito was more flavorful and melded together beautifully.  The addition of the queso to the burrito took it to the next level.  In my mind, there was no real competition here.  Freebirds has friendly service, flavorful ingredients, and great prices.  The only downside to Freebirds is that it is a smaller chain than Chipotle and therefore there aren't many locations in the Los Angeles area.  If you find yourself near Venice Beach and craving a burrito, skip Chipotle and head to Freebirds for an extraordinary fast food experience.

The Chipotle burrito was slightly larger than the Freebirds burrito, but I have always been taught that quality is more important than quantity.


 The interior of the burritos is very telling.  In the Chipotle burrito, the ingredients were a little dry and bland, creating a carb-heavy and flavor-light, massive burrito.  In the Freebirds burrito, on the other hand, the moist ingredients melded together to create a symphony of rich flavors and textures.

Finally, Freebirds has multiple options for salsa and cheese that can be added to your burrito.  From the left to the right, these are the mild salsa, the hot salsa, and the queso*.


*Queso costs $1.10 extra but is definitely worth it!

Comments

Popular Posts